|Prices for Walking Tours in Yerevan *|
|3 persons||4-5 persons||6 and more persons|
|36000 AMD / 245 €||31000 AMD / 220 €||23000 AMD / 190 €|
* Tour rates are indicated in drams(AMD) and euro (€) per person
Khor Virap (deep pit) was created in the basement hole from VI to XVII centuries, where for many years the Armenian Baptist, St. Gregory the Illuminator was imprisoned for spreading Christianity until King Tiridates decided to adopt this religion as a state Religion in 301. The pit where the saint suffered was the royal dungeon full of poisonous snakes and scorpions. According to legend, St Gregory the Illuminator lived in this pit for 13 years. The monastery is on the Turkish border, on the hill, near the village of Pokr Vedi. In ancient times, Artashat was the ancient capital of Armenia on this territory. The pit has a diameter of 4.4 meters and is 6 meters high. Here the tourists go down on a narrow staircase to feel the whole atmosphere there. In Khor Virap Monastery there was a seminary and here was the residence of the Catholicos. The most beautiful view of the Holy Mount Ararat and the entire Ararat valley opens in the monastery area.
The village of Areni has been famous for its winemaking traditions since ancient times when our ancestors lived on the earth. There are a number of caves where you can visit being companies only with a professional guide. But in one of them, called “Areni-1” or “Bird’s Cave”, it had been discovered exceptional artifacts, the oldest of which is one of the winemaking items, which is 6,500 years old and the oldest female leather shoe of 37 sizes. There will also be a tour to Old Areni wine factory and, of course, the tasting of excellent wines.
Noravank was built in XIII century in the gorge of Gnishik River near Yeghegnadzor city. The gorge is famous for its thick red cliffs surrounding the monastery. The oldest structure of the monastery is St. Karabed Church, built in the IX-X centuries, which reached us in ruins. The main church of the monastery was built in 1216-1223, which also carries the name of St. Karabed. The temple has strict designs. Inside it, there are rich cross-stoned halls.
In 1275, on the northern side of the main church, it was built the St. Gregory Church, which was the tomb of Smbat Orbelian. This is a modest rectangular structure. The walls on both sides of the altar are decorated with cross-stones and doves. Finally, the most impressive structure of the monastery is St. Astvatsatsin / Bourtalashen. It is a two-storied church built in 1339. The main facade of the temple is cross-shaped, decorated with a carved image of the cross. In the center of the temple, there is a beautiful dome decorated with delightful columns. The western facade of the building is especially rich in decorations. Two stairs have been constructed, with the help of which it can be reached on the second floor. The base of the staircase starts from the left and right sides of the graveyard entrance. On the first floor, the door opens and the basic picture is seen, the Virgin Mary, with the baby Christ and angels, and at the top of the entrance, there is the image of Christ with the apostles Petros and Poghos.
Tatev monastic complex (IX-XIII centuries) is one of the oldest and most famous monastic complexes in Armenia, the pearl of Armenian architecture. The harmony of the monastery and its surrounding nature creates an amazing atmosphere bringing visitors to old times when Tatev was one of the most important spiritual and scientific centers in Armenia. The monastery was named after the disciple of the Apostle of Tadevos, in the honor of Eustatius (Eustatos -Tatevos-Tatev), who preached Christianity as his teacher and who was martyred in Syunik for a new faith. And the translation from ancient Armenian “tatev” means “to give wings”. Indeed, Tatev, which is at a high altitude, seems to stretch to heaven. Its walls seem to be the continuation of the natural length of the rock on which it stands. The monastery was entirely destroyed by the earthquake, but it was restored in the 17th century. The church of St. Poghos and Petros is the center of the complex, the main and largest building of the monastery, which gives the structure a special majesty. The temple was built in 906. The temple architecture is unique, especially the large external dimensions of the church dome, a highly wrapped drum, mounted on an umbrella domed. Interesting sculptures, decorating the windows, represent human faces on which the snakes are heading off the tongue. The huge temple is decorated with murals, the remains of which are preserved in some parts. The oldest church is St. Gregory the Illuminator Church (848). The Church unites the southern part of the main temple: Poghos and Petros Churches. The monument “Gavazan”, built in 904, is located in the monastery area. It is a memorial, 8 meters high and ends with elegant corners and cross-stones. Around the church, there are also located many other structures, built in the XVII-XVIII cc., such as courtyards, bell towers, kitchens, sanatoriums, shelters, dining room with shelter and workspace. One of the rare examples of Armenian architecture is the Church of St. Astvatsatsin, built in 1087, representing a small domed hall with an umbrella. Narrow labyrinth corridors lead to halls used for unknown purposes, spacious halls, and dark stone stairs, outlines and arches create a mysterious atmosphere. In 1390-1435, the monastery was home to Tatev University, which was the largest philosophical and scientific center in medieval Armenia. The university was headed by Hovhannes Vorotnetsi and Grigor Tatevatsi, who were philosophers, educators, prominent public figures and united around the university all the best intellectual powers of the Armenian people. The monastery can be reached by the longest “Tatev Wings” ropeway, the length of which is 5,752 meters.
|DEPARTURE TIME||Tour start time is variable and depends on the season. The exact time of the trip is coordinated on the spot with the guide|