|Prices for Walking Tours in Yerevan *|
|3 persons||4-5 persons||6 and more persons|
|25000 AMD / 35 €||2100000 AMD / 28 €||17000 AMD / 19 €|
* Tour rates are indicated in drams(AMD) and euro (€) per person
Gyumri is the second largest city in Armenia. All the roads lead to Gyumri, whose inhabitants have a wonderful sense of humor. The first residents settled here in the vicinity in the 6th century BC. However, about the real population, it is mentioned only in the 8th century, when the rebellion began with the aim of getting rid of the Arabic government. At that time, this city was named Kumayri. In the Middle Ages, it became a large settlement that developed and expanded year by year. In the middle of the 16th century, Kumayri became part of Persia. At the beginning of the 19th century, a war started between Russian and Persian peoples, which lasted for ten years. The Russians came to the Armenian city. In the 1930s, a Russian fortress was built here, after which Nikolai came here and renamed it Alexandrapol. Gyumri was recognized as a city after the visit of the Russian Emperor. Due to the fact that at the end of the 19th century this city had begun to build and expand railway lines, the city was of great importance and began to develop rapidly in socio-economic and cultural spheres. In 1924, Alexandrapol went under Soviet rule and became known as Leninakan. Only after independence, the city was given its modern name. Liberty Square in Gyumri is a favorite place for citizens and visitors. There are interesting and ancient historical monuments there, such as St. Hakob church, Amenaprkich, and Mariam Astvatsatsin churches.
The National Museum of Architecture and Folklore, built in 1872, is one of the best examples of Gyumri’s pre-revolutionary architecture, which presents photographs, household items, and local history exhibits belonging to the Alexandrian era.
Seven wounds / St. Astvatsatsin Church was built at the place of a 17th-century chapel, in 1873-1884. In 1988, it also became a victim of an earthquake. In 2001, when it was celebrated the 1700th anniversary of Christianity’s adoption in Armenia, the church was largely restored, but there still remain the original fragments of the dome, which was damaged during the natural disaster. The interior of the church is decorated with frescoes. The peculiarity of this church is that it is the only Armenian church with an illustrated altar.
Aruch (Saint Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral, VII century) – St. Grigor Church, one of the largest churches in Armenia, 40 km far from Yerevan, is famous for its unusual architecture. Here was the residence of the Mamikonian dynasty, the founder of which was Grigor Mamikonyan. According to the inscription, the building works of the church started in 662 and ended in 666. Catholicos of the Armenian Apostolic Church, Anastas Akoretsi (661-667) illuminated the church. On the place of St. Gregory the Illuminator Church, there was another church in Aruch. It is possible that the basilica, located in the south-west of the church, was transformed into a secular building as a result of further reconstruction. In the past, the Church’s inner walls were covered with frescos representing the Ascension process. The image of Christ was 7 meters high. Unfortunately, the frescoes have almost disappeared. Instead of the once demolished dome, you can see the open sky that serves as a continuation of ancient frescoes depicted on the walls. At the temple, you can see the ruins of the chapel, the Katoghike basilica, and the palace, where once there were halls and galleries. All the mentioned objects were built at different times. Arch is an important historical monument of Armenia.
Marmashen (X-XIII cc) monastery complex is located on the left bank of Akhuryan River, 2 km south-west of Vahramaberd village. One of the best monuments of Armenian architecture was also the medieval Armenian cultural and religious center. The monastery complex consists of large and small (upper) groups of monuments. The large group includes St. Katoghike Church, the three anonymous churches, the courtyard, and the cemetery. The St. Katoghike Church is one of the best examples of the architect Tiridates who is the representative of Ani’s architecture school. The second church is 1.5 m north from the St. Katoghike Church. They have probably been built simultaneously. With its composition and structure, details and decor, it is a smaller example of the St. Katoghike Church. Only the northern and eastern walls have been preserved. The third church, built in XI century, is located in the southern part of the St. Katoghike Church. The 4th church is located on the south-western side of the complex. It was discovered in 1954-1956 as a result of excavations. The Gavit joins the St. Katoghike Church from the west. This central structure served as a grave. Vahram Pahlavuni is also buried here. At the end of the nineteenth century, his tombstone was replaced by a new one. Parts of the monastery are found in the western part of the courtyard. The cemetery extends from the monuments group to the south and east. The Small (Upper) group of monuments includes a church and its adjacent cemetery. The church is known as an Old or a Fifth church. Here is Sofia’s cemetery, who was the wife of Vahram Pahlavuni. The architect is also buried here. Marmashen Monastery Complex has been renovated many times. In 1870, Mkrtich Jalalyan opened a school in the monastery after renovation. In 1900, Catholicos Mkrtich Vanetsi (Khrimian Hayrik) carried out major restoration work. Since the 1950s, repairing works have been carried out regularly.
|DEPARTURE TIME||Tour start time is variable and depends on the season. The exact time of the trip is coordinated on the spot with the guide|