|Prices for Walking Tours in Yerevan *
||6 and more persons
|25000 AMD / 35 €
||2100000 AMD / 28 €
||17000 AMD / 19 €
* Tour rates are indicated in drams(AMD) and euro (€) per person
Gyumri is the second largest city in Armenia. All the roads lead to Gyumri, whose inhabitants have a wonderful sense of humor. The first residents settled here in the vicinity in the 6th century BC. However, about the real population it is mentioned only in the 8th century, when the rebellion began with the aim of getting rid of the Arabic government. At that time, this city was named Kumayri. In the Middle Ages, it became a large settlement that developed and expanded year by year. In the middle of the 16th century, Kumayri became part of Persia. At the beginning of the 19th century a war started between Russian and Persian peoples, which lasted for ten years. The Russians came to the Armenian city. In the 1930s, a Russian fortress was built here, after which Nikolai came here and renamed it Alexandrapol. Gyumri was recognized as a city after the visit of the Russian Emperor. Due to the fact that at the end of the 19th century this city had begun to build and expand railway lines, the city was a great importance and began to develop rapidly in socio-economic and cultural spheres. In 1924, Alexandrapol went under Soviet rule and became known as Leninakan. Only after independence, the city was given its modern name. Liberty Square in Gyumri is a favorite place for citizens and visitors. There are interesting and ancient historical monuments there, such as St. Hakob church, Amenaprkich and Mariam Astvatsatsin churches.
The National Museum of Architecture and Folklore, built in 1872, is one of the best examples of Gyumri’s pre-revolutionary architecture, which presents photographs, household items, and local history exhibits belonging to the Alexandrian era.
Seven wounds / St. Astvatsatsin Church was built at the place of 17th century chapel, in 1873-1884. In 1988, it also became a victim of an earthquake. In 2001, when it was celebrated the 1700th anniversary of Christianity’s adoption in Armenia, the church was largely restored, but there still remain the original fragments of the dome, which was damaged during the natural disaster. The interior of the church is decorated with frescoes. The peculiarity of this church is that it is the only Armenian church with an illustrated altar.
The Saint Amenaprkich Church decorates the southern part of the square. It was built in 1860-1873 and is considered to be the most beautiful and historic value of Gyumri. The temple was built by Tadevos Andikyan from the design of the Ani Cathedral, which is situated in Turkey nowadays. It is a very luxurious building with rich ornaments that skillfully decorate the facade and the interior. Under the domination of the Soviet power, the bell tower of the church was blown up and it began to serve as a concert hall. In 1988, during the earthquake, the temple was almost completely destroyed. Today it is recovering, but the process is slowing down, as the building is literally being pasted like a broken vase trying to use all the fragments saved. Over the past 30 years, it has been almost managed to return the church its former appearance. The architects have gone to Turkey to visit Ani and make accurate measurements, so that the Gyumri temple corresponds to its prototype. There is a square on the eastern side of the temple, where copies of old cross-stones (carved cross-stones and ornaments) have been erected in the ancient medieval cemetery of Jugha.
The Black Fortress is located in the western district of Gyumri, which was the center of the city in the XIX century. A cylindrical gray structure made of black tuff stone stands on the hill. This height was considered strategically important place for a long time and when the territories of Armenia became part of the Russian Empire, the construction of Black Ghoul began. It was intended to protect the borders from Persian and Turkish threats. It is a well-preserved and semi-round barracks where the remains of the Cossack post and settlement have also remained. Ancient artifacts were discovered under the Black Fortress during the archeological works, which shows that the building was built in the place of older buildings. From the wall of the fort, a wonderful view opens to the landscape of Gyumri, and at the back you can see the border with Turkey and the copy of the Mother Armenia Memorial.
The Church of Lmbatavank (St. Stepanos, VII century) was built in Artik. The church is called Karmirvank / Red Church because it is built from a local volcanic tuff. Lymbatavank is unique not only for its architectural forms, but also for ornaments based on Bible themes. The main characteristic of trimmings is Christ, as well as various saints. In 2014-2016 they were restored by the Italian masters. Painting and architecture in this church are interconnected, complement and enrich each other by creating an irreversible merger of art.
Harichavank (VII-XIII cc) monastic complex is located in the same village of Shirak marz, on the western slope of Aragats, on the rock of 2000 meters above sea level. The complex includes the exquisite old basilica and the Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator, and the oldest buildings surround the basilica and the church, as if protecting them. The largest building is St. Mariam Church, whose construction began in 1201. There is a scroll on the eastern front where it says: “Lord, have mercy on those who worked. Amen”: In one of the chapels of the Church there is a stone on the floor that you can press by your foot and open the underground passage that leads to the canyon and beyond. People believe that you can reach the ancient city of Ani (Ani is now in Turkey) through the system of underground passages from Harichavank, with a straight line of about fourty kilometers. Harichavank is a functioning monastery with Catholicos’s rooms (since 1850 it has become the place of the patriarch’s summer residence), a library, a seminary where famous writers and musicians had been studying. Everywhere it is a very comfortable, relaxed and especially tidy atmosphere. From the north-west, where the wall of the monastery rises from a small stream, a part of the rock on which the whole complex is located is five meters away from the main building. An ancient earthquake caused the formation of a rocky island, on the top of which about two meter chapel ruins are preserved. It can only be reached there with special climbing equipment. According to the legend, the chapel is preserving the relics of the prophet whose name has not been known in our days.
Sarnaghbyur is a village near Artik. It’s noteworthy that at the end of the village there is a large cave. The cave is divided into two parts. The first is a prayer place, from which the second entrance is opened. From there a pure cold spring is bursting out and it is believed that its water is healing and comes from far away. According to the legend, Gregory the Illuminator had been hiding in this cave for some time, and the spring water gave him his strength. The cave’s prayery and the “spring” are being divided by means of a door, as well as wide open windows, through which can be seen the damp stones on the floor. Despite the fact that the source is almost vulnerable to external influences, the temperature in the second half of the cave is about +10o C and it keeps +10o C both in winter and in summer. The microclimate is always unchanged.
- Free of charge for children up to six years without a seat (in the lap of parents)
- Children from 7 to 12 years old – 30% discount
- Lunch: 7000 AMD or 1000 rubles. Calculation for one person (pure value)
- Almost all museums in Yerevan are closed on Mondays
- The tour program can be edited at the guests’ request
||Tour start time is variable and depends on the season. The exact time of the trip is coordinated on the spot with the guide
|Access tickets for museums and historical-cultural centers
||A professional English speaking guide
|Food: lunch or dinner during the excursion. We can arrange for food service in advance, or can recommend a good restaurant
2. The Saint Amenaprkich Church
3. The Black Fortress
4. The Church of Lmbatavank