|Prices for Walking Tours in Yerevan *|
|3 persons||4-5 persons||6 and more persons|
|32000 AMD / 55 €||27000 AMD / 45 €||20000 AMD / 35 €|
* Tour rates are indicated in drams(AMD) and euro (€) per person
Dsegh village is the birthplace of Armenian writer Hovhannes Toumanyan (1869-1923), where his home-museum is situated. It includes about 300 valuable exhibits related to the life and work of the brilliant writer. Thanks to Toumanyan’s talent and works, Dsegh enjoys unprecedented popularity. Hovhannes Toumanyan died in Tbilisi, but his heart was buried in his house, near Dsegh village. The writer’s bust is also nearby (A. Urartu’s work, 1953), where the fans put flowers all year round. Dsegh consists of old houses with tiled roofs. Dsegh is located on the high point of the Debed River, from where the Dzoraget valley and the village of Katrina represent a great view. The place is interesting because the Mamikonyan family lived here for a while, in the 5th century. Thus, Touman Mamikonian’s dynasty later became more popular as Toumanyan. Dsegh is surrounded by old cross-stones, huge pillars, basilic ruins (7th century), chapels, medieval cemetery, St. Grigor (Bardzakash, 12-13 centuries) and Kobayr (12th century) monasteries…
The Bardzakash Monastery (St. Gregory, 12-13th Century) was included in the list of 11 monuments and objects of the European heritage selected for the 7 most prestigious historical monuments under the threat of disappearance by Europa Nostra and the European Investment Bank in 2014. The monastery is dedicated to St. Gregory the Illuminator, the first official Catholicos of the Armenian Church. The stone structures of the main buildings, located in the green gorge of the Dsegh forest landscape, are in ruins, have no covers on them. The monastery consists of two churches, a hall, a chapel and an ancient cemetery of the Mamikonians. Surb Astvatsatsin Church, built in 1221 by Sargis Mamikonian’s son, Marzpet, has a five-pointed insect inside and a two-story corridor in the eastern part. In the southern part of the monastery, there is the St. Harutyoun chapel (1204). The buildings are built of felsite, tuff and basalt, have many ornaments and inscriptions. Thanks to its white color, the monastery was named “White Monastery”. There is a fountain, khachkars, as well as a Saghoudzor bridge, built by Mankan, by the order of Amik who was Smbat Mamikonyan’s son.
Kobayravanq Monastery (12th century) is located not far from Toumanyan town of Lori region. The monastery is located in the gorge on the Debed River. In the area of the monastery, there is a cave system, the church and the main gates of the XII century, chapel, as well as the Katoghikeh Mariamashen church, built in 1171 by the daughter of King Kyureghikeh, the bell tower, and the dining hall. The central entrance to the complex is an open hall with tunnel shaping towers. Ancient frescoes are preserved in the monastery which was partially destroyed and now renovated. There are three types of frescoes – the Virgin Mary and the Archangels, then the supper, and eventually the images of different saints. The walls of the altar are decorated with pictures of prophets. Frescoes are made in Armenian, Georgian and Byzantine traditions. In the 13th century, representatives of the Armenian feudal family of Zakaryan brought Calcedonian style to Kobayr, after which the monastery was richly decorated with frescoes. Over time, however, the Calcedonian Armenians left the monastery and it was abandoned for several centuries. Only in the XVII-XVIII centuries it was re-opened, entering the list of the Armenian Apostolic Church. David Kobayretsi lived in Kobayr. In the Middle Ages, the monastery was a cultural center and chroniclers’ correspondence workshop.
|DEPARTURE TIME||Tour start time is variable and depends on the season. The exact time of the trip is coordinated on the spot with the guide|