|Prices for Walking Tours in Yerevan *|
|3 persons||4-5 persons||6 and more persons|
|38000 AMD / 65 €||30000 AMD / 50€||20000 AMD / 35 €|
* Tour rates are indicated in drams(AMD) and euro (€) per person
Khor Virap (deep pit) was created in the basement hole from VI to XVII centuries, where for many years the Armenian Baptist, St. Gregory the Illuminator was imprisoned for spreading Christianity until King Tiridates decided to adopt this religion as a state Religion in 301. The pit where the saint suffered was the royal dungeon full of poisonous snakes and scorpions. According to legend, St Gregory the Illuminator lived in this pit for 13 years. The monastery is on the Turkish border, on the hill, near the village of Pokr Vedi. In ancient times, Artashat was the ancient capital of Armenia on this territory. The pit has a diameter of 4.4 meters and is 6 meters high. Here the tourists go down on a narrow staircase to feel the whole atmosphere there. In Khor Virap Monastery there was a seminary and here was the residence of the Catholicos. The most beautiful view of the Holy Mount Ararat and the entire Ararat valley opens in the monastery area.
Noravank was built in XIII century in the gorge of Gnishik River near Yeghegnadzor city. The gorge is famous for its thick red cliffs surrounding the monastery. The oldest structure of the monastery is St. Karabed Church, built in the IX-X centuries, which reached us in ruins. The main church of the monastery was built in 1216-1223, which also carries the name of St. Karabed. The temple has strict designs. Inside it, there are rich cross-stoned halls.
In 1275, on the northern side of the main church, it was built the St. Gregory Church, which was the tomb of Smbat Orbelian. This is a modest rectangular structure. The walls on both sides of the altar are decorated with cross-stones and doves. Finally, the most impressive structure of the monastery is St. Astvatsatsin / Bourtalashen. It is a two-storied church built in 1339. The main facade of the temple is cross-shaped, decorated with a carved image of the cross. In the center of the temple there is a beautiful dome decorated with delightful columns. The western facade of the building is especially rich in decorations. Two stairs have been constructed, with the help of which it can be reached on the second floor. The base of the staircase starts from the left and right sides of the graveyard entrance. On the first floor, the door opens and the basic picture is seen, the Virgin Mary, with the baby Christ and angels, and at the top of the entrance there is the image of Christ with the apostles Peter and Paul.
Shoushi is a city in Nagorno-Karabakh. Ceramic and clay objects discovered in the 14th-13th centuries prove that there was a fortified city here in the distant past. Due to the inaccessible location of Shushi, it served as a defensive base for the Armenian population of Vanadzor, Artsakh, which later served as a defensive wall and became one of the most important castles. There are ancient cemeteries in the vicinity of the city, where Armenian khachkars and ceramics of the 9th and 12th centuries were found. Shoushi was the most important center of Armenian culture, where education and especially the press were highly developed. In 1827-1920 there were five editions in Shoushi, more than 150 books were published. In 1991-1992 Stepanakert and other settlements (hundreds of people were killed in this war) were bombed from Shoushi. In the Battle of Artsakh, the city served as a military base for Azerbaijani troops. On May 6, 1992 Shoushi was liberated due to the efforts of the Armenian army. At present, 3000 people live in Shoushi. Many of them are emigrants from Sumgait and Baku. The city was heavily damaged by war. In 2007 the city’s new project was created. By 2020 it is planned to restore Shoushi as a cultural center of Artsakh.
Dominating structure among architectural structures is of 40 meters high. It is the St. Amenaprkich Church, also called Ghazanchetsots.
Hunot Canyon, which local residents also call Jdrduz canyon, is located in the south-eastern part of Shoushi (Artsakh). Waterfalls, forests, stone bridges and stone caves are on 250 meters high here. The amazing waterfall is also called Mamrot stone. The gig is particularly impressive in the morning, when it is illuminated by the first shines of the sun, and the earliest bird song is heard.
Stepanakert – The capital of Nagorno Karabakh has 55,000 inhabitants, and is the administrative, cultural and economic center of the republic. It is located on the eastern slope of the Karabakh ridge, on the left bank of the Karkar Vararakn River, at an altitude of 850 meters above sea level. The city was renamed in honor of Stepan Shahumyan, the leader of the Socialist Party, the figure of the international labor movement. The city is surrounded by ten old medieval and medieval villages, where 10 ruined churches, thousands of khachkars and gravestones have been preserved. Stepanakert has an ancient history. For the first time the settlements appeared in 3-2 thousand years BC. In the 19th century, Emil Rosler’s archaeological excavations have revealed many objects of great value and some finds are kept in the world’s largest museums. The village of Vararakn, which got its name from a local source, is in the place of present-day Artsakh. Only one hotel in that village has reached us with a miracle. As a settlement, the city was formed in the early 19th century. The first project and construction of the city was done by architect Alexander Tamanyan. In Soviet times, Stepanakert was a regional center with a number of large industrial enterprises, pedagogical institute, agricultural machinery, musical and medical schools, historical and archaeological museums. In the 1960’s, many complexes were built in the center of the city, including the Lenin Square (now Renaissance), the building of Communist Committee (now the NKR Government building).
Gandzasar monastery complex (X century) is a permanent functioning monastery in Armenia (now it is in the territory of Artsakh). At all times, he served as a spiritual center, and later as the residence of the Catholicos. Here, prominent scientists and clergymen had been trained, who had greatly contributed to the development of this region. The interior of the church is decorated with sculptures of people and animals. The temple is surrounded by old cross-stones and other monastic complexes. On October 23, 2017, the Gandzasar carpets’ blessing ceremony took place at Gandzasar Church. A charity program has officially being launched in Gandzasar which will improve the rich traditions of carpet weaving in Armenia. This project is a combination of Armenian architecture and carpet weaving. A member of the Hermitage Scientific Council, well-known Soviet historian and artist A. Jacobson, who has been studying the monastery for many years, calls the temple “an Armenian architecture preserve”. Professor, renowned French historian Charles Dill, included Gandzasar in the list of five masterpieces of Armenian architecture, which are included in the treasury of world architecture.
Tatev monastery complex – (medieval Armenian architecture pearl) Tatev monastery was built in IX-XIII centuries. Tatev Monastery is located in the heart of Syunik Marz, near the same named village, on the right bank of the Vorotan River, on the plateau. Before overcoming this magnificent height, you need to get off the 500-meter Vorotan Canyon, stop at the Devil’s Bridge (along the river coast, two banks are forming a bridge look) hot springs and climb up the mountain road. A few turns and you can see the monastery, which is like a powerful and sturdy castle standing on a rocky cliff. Such an inaccessible position was strategically beneficial because the monastery was at the same time a religious and political center of the Syunik government. The monastery was also the seat of the bishop of Syunik, which owned lands, workshops, taxes, collected from hundreds of villages. In XIII-XIV centuries the monastery lived an unprecedented flourishing. At present Tatev University is functioning. It was the largest center of philosophical and scientific ideas of medieval Armenia. It’s hard to visit because of the difficulties of the area. However, true lovers of ancient monuments find strength and ability to visit this masterpiece of medieval architecture. The world’s longest ropeway passenger car, which has received the official name “Wings of Tatev”, is the airline leading to the monastery complex and lasts about 12 minutes. When crossing the gorge, the booths reach a maximum height of 320 meters. It is the longest ropeway in the world, which moves continuously. By the way, the record is not only the height of the ropeway but also the length of 5,752 meters.
The village of Areni has been famous for its winemaking traditions since ancient times, when our ancestors lived on the earth. There are a number of caves where you can visit being companied only with a professional guide. But in one of them, called “Areni-1” or “Bird’s Cave”, it had been discovered exceptional artefacts, the oldest of which is one of the winemaking items, which is 6,500 years old and the oldest female leather shoe of 37 size. There will also be a tour to Old Areni wine factory and, of course, the tasting of excellent wines.
|DEPARTURE TIME||Tour start time is variable and depends on the season. The exact time of the trip is coordinated on the spot with the guide|