Etchmiadzin is the center of the Armenian Church, the mother church of the Armenian Apostolic Church. It is where the Catholicos Of All Armenians lives, and the location of the Etchmiadzin Cathedral. The cathedral, built in 480, is located in a walled compound with gardens and various structures. According to most scholars, it was the first cathedral (but not the first church) built in ancient Armenia. Also, it is considered the oldest cathedral in the world. The original church was built in the early fourth century, between 301 and 303, on the very spot, Grigor Luysavorich (St. Gregory the Illuminator) dreamt Jesus Himself showed him where He wanted the church to be built. The core of the current building was built in 483/4 by Vahan Mamikonian after the cathedral was severely damaged in a Persian invasion. The interior murals, created by the Armenian painter Nagash Ovnatan in 1720, was restored and elaborated upon by his grandson, Ovnatan Ovnatanian, in 1782-1786. On the monastery yard, there are the buildings of the Catholicosat, a school, a winter and summer refectories, a hostel, Trdat’s gate, and other structures. They were built in the 17th-19th centuries in place of earlier buildings.